Dr. Naresh Trehan, Apollo Hospital, Delhi, India
Dr. Naresh Trehan is one of the most preeminent cardiac surgeons in the world.
Dr. Trehan was trained in general surgery and subsequently cardiac surgery at premier institutions in U.S. (NYU Medical Centre), held important academic and clinical positions at the New York University Medical Center, Bellevue Hospital of the city of New York and Veterans Administration Hospital (Manhattan), U.S.A. His pioneering work in the field of coronary artery bypass surgery was at the New York University Medical Centre, New York, USA.
In 1988, despite a successful career in United States he returned to India and started Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre – a pioneering state-of-the-art heart institute in India. This institute is on par or better than the best in the world and has set new standards of cardiac care this part of the world. Within a short period this Centre has become an important land mark the world over in cardiac surgery and cardiology having successfully performed over 48,000 open heart surgeries which includes surgeries of coronary artery, valves, carotid arteries, aortic aneurysm, cardiomyoplasty, cardiac arrhythmias, myocardial total arterial revascularization, transmyocardial laser revascularisation, least invasive coronary artery surgery on a beating heart, reduction ventriculoplasty (Batista Operation), heart port access surgery and robotically assisted cardiac surgery with excellent results. Some of these operations have been performed by him for the first time in India.
Besides clinical work he has taken keen interest in training, education and research programmes. He is giving post doctoral training of international standard to 30 surgeons at a point of time at the Institute, The training is of 3 years duration. Over 20 surgeons have already been trained so far. Has established a comprehensive research programme to constantly monitor the data accumulated on daily basis for each patient. He has also presented a number of scientific papers and chaired scientific sessions in national and international conferences in USA, UK, Japan, China, Israel and Far East countries.
Click on the link to watch an extensive interview with Dr. Trehan:
- Senior Consultant Cardiovascular Surgery at Apollo Hospital, Sarita Vihar, New Delhi from June 1, 2007
- Executive Director and Chief Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgeon, Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre, Okhla Road, New Delhi, since 1988.
- Appointed as Personal Surgeon to the President of India with effect from June, 1991.
- Appointed as Honorary Consultant to the Cromwell Hospital, London U.K., with effect from March, 1994.
- Appointed as Honorary Visiting Professor, Cardiovascular Surgery, LPS Institute of Cardiology, Kanpur (U.P.) with effect from June, 1996.
- Appointed as Honorary Consultant, Cardiothoracic Surgery, to the Armed Forces Medical Services, with effect from March, 1997.
- Appointed as Honorary Visiting Professor of Surgery, Bangladesh Medical College, Dhaka with effect from April, 2000.