Dr. Koen de Smet, Ghent, Belgium
Dr. De Smet is an orthopedic surgeon with a subspecialty in hip resurfacing and has done more than 3000 hip resurfacing surgeries. This makes him one of the 5 most experienced hip resurfacing surgeons in the world. Patients stay in Villa Centopassi, an upscale hotel that is managed by Dr. De Smet and his family, making for a unique experience.
Click the link below to view a detailed video interview with Dr. De Smet:
- Primary and Revision hip surgery.
- Open dislocations of hip, Ganz-osteotomy of the hip
- BVOT Belgische Vereniging voor Orthopedie en Traumatologie.
- BVOT Hip Group
- BOTA Belgian Orthopedic Trauma Association.
- AAOS American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- EHS European Hip Society
- ISTA International Science and Technology in Arthroplasty
- AIOD Belgium, member and guest expert
- ACTA Orthopaedica Belgica, member of editorial board
- Orthopedic Staff Member of the General Hospital “Jan Palfijn” at Ghent
- Member of scientific committee and co-organizer of the sixth Bota symposium at Ghent September 13, 1997
- Member of International Scientific Committee CREMASCOLI PROSTHESIS GROUP 1997-1998, 1998-1999, 1999-2000, 2000-2001, 2001-2002, 2002-2003
- Coordinator of the Belgium Metasul and Study Group 2000-2001
- Consultant to Wright Medical Company 2001-2002, 2002-2003, 2003-2004
AAOS member 2004-2005, 2005-2006
- Member of scientific panel and Consultant Wright Medical Company 2004-2005
- Demo-Surgeon for Belgian and International Orthopaedic Surgeons for BIRMINGHAM HIP RESURFACING since 10/2001-1/2003 (2 to 3 demo sessions a month)
- Consultant at the MARIA-MIDDELARES HOSPITAL GHENT (BELGIUM) for resurfacing prosthesis 2003/2004
- Consultant at the ELISABETH HOSPITAL DAMME SIJSELE (BELGIUM) 01/03/2001-31/12/2002 (120 THR)